Electro-Technical Officers Course
(Mandatory Pre-sea Training leading to Certification for Merchant Ships)
The International Maritime Organization at its Manila Conference held in June, 2010, adopted a fresh set of amendments to the STCW Convention 1978. One of these amendments deals with new education, training and assessment programs for the increased use of electro technology / control engineering, computerization etc. in modern ship design, construction, instrumentation and operations. Accordingly, it prescribes issuance of Certificates of Competency (CoC) to a new category of technically qualified and trained officers, for the purpose, in the name of ‘Electro-Technical Officer (ETO)’.
Thus every electro –technical officer serving on a seagoing ship powered by propulsion machinery of 750 kW propulsion power or more is required to hold a certificate of competency after 1st January, 2017.
Keeping in view the need for ETO Officers on board, TMI has taken initiative to provide requisite knowledge and skill in the form of certification course. The course is approved by The Directorate General of Shipping, Govt. Of India and meets the requirements laid down in Table A-III/6 of STCW as amended in 2010.
This course is designed to give adequate knowledge and skill to fresh candidates who have completed/ completing Diploma/ Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent, to take on the responsibility as Electro Technical Officer in Merchant ships.
The course deals with initial familiarization with ship board systems, equipments and machineries involved in the operation of the vessels. The relevant electrical/electronic equipments, control and automation systems, will be dealt with in detail to enable the candidate nurture decision making for troubleshooting, rectification of defects. The course makes the candidate aware of the risks involved at sea and importance of imbibing the safety culture.
4 months on shore followed by 6 months on board training
- Educational Qualification:
- Passed three years Diploma with 60% marks or four years Degree including lateral entry with 50% marks in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Electronics and Telecommunication / Communication Engineering or Electronics and Instrumentation or equivalent.
- The diploma /degree courses must have been recognized by any State or Central Government or the AICTE and conducted in English language.
- Preference will be give to candidates with degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering or Electronics and Telecommunication / Communication Engineering along with industrial experience.
- Age & Medical Fitness:Not more than 35 years on date of commencement of training and medically fit including eye sight and hearing as prescribed in the Merchant Shipping (Medical Examination) Rules, 2000; as amended from time to time.
Rs.3.10 lakhs inclusive of tuition fees, on campus twin sharing accommodation, food, laundry, uniform, books and stationery. Taxes will be extra as applicable.
Number of Seats
Maximum 40 in a batch
Next course commences August/Sept 2018
Click here to apply now
Last date of application form is 20 July 2018
- Download and send duly filled Application Form to the institute along with the documents and Demand Draft as mentioned in the application form.
- Institute will call eligible applicants for test /interview and Medical Test.
After the completion of the course the eligible students will be issued with the CDC, INDoS No. and Course Completion Certificate. The students will be eligible to join Merchant Ships as Electrical Officer.
Campus Placement Interviews will be arranged with the global shipping companies.
Enquiry / More Information
For more information please contact:
Tolani Maritime Institute
Talegaon – Chakan Road
Pune – 410 507
Tel: + 91 (2114) 242000/242001
Fax: +91 (2114) 242013