DNS (IMU) Programme
One Year Residential Diploma in Nautical Science leading to B.Sc. Applied Nautical Science (IMU)
Tolani Maritime institute conducts the one year Pre Sea Deck Cadet Course leading to Diploma in Nautical Science from the Indian Maritime University (IMU). This diploma programme is followed by one and half year (3 Semesters) on-board ship training and after successful completion of the same, a candidate is awarded Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science (ADNS). After completion of the on-board training, the Sixth Semester constitutes “Second Mate Certificate of Competency” awarded by the Director General of Shipping and leads to simultaneous award of B.Sc. (Applied Nautical Science) degree from IMU. The first two Semesters i.e. First year constitute on-shore training which is designed to impart basic knowledge on the type of merchant ships, ship operations, types of goods carried by ships, shipping trade and a good foundation in the basic principles of navigation and environmental sciences.
Admission to this course is granted after clearing IMU approved test.
Intake for DNS (IMU) programme
TMI has approval to admit 120 candidates for the Diploma in Nautical Science (IMU) leading to B.Sc. Applied Nautical Science (IMU). TMI accepts only company sponsored candidates for admision in the IMU programme. Though any registered shipping company can sponsor candidates for the DNS programme, following companies normally sponsor candidates at TMI:
Fleet Management, Gulf Energy Maritime Services, Maersk, Mitsui OSK Lines, MSC, Nortrans, Scorpio Marine Management, Tolani Shipping, TORM, United Ocean, V-Ships, Wallem Ship Management, Wilhelmsen Ship Management.
Age limit as per IMU is 25 years. However individual shipping companies have their own eligibility criteria.
You must have successfully completed the Senior Secondary Examination (10+2) or its equivalent with:
- At least 60% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (P C M), and
- At least 50% marks in English
To be declared fit for selection, a candidate must be in good mental and physical health and free from any deficiency likely to interfere with the efficient performance of duties, as per the medical standards laid down by the Directorate General of Shipping, Govt. of India.
Candidates for DNS (IMU) programme must have 6/6 vision in both eyes. Color blindness is not permitted.
Medical fitness has to be certified by DG Shipping approved company doctors.
Candidates finally selected by the shipping companies will be offered onboard training and placement upon successful completion of the course.
How to apply
Online through this website
- Step I : Fill the application form on this website.
- Step II : Pay the non-refundable application fees through the website using credit / debit card / internet banking OR by a Demand Draft / Pay Order for Rs. 200/- in favour of "Tolani Maritime Institute", payable at Pune.
- Step III:Print duly filled application form and the summary generated. Send the same along with the transaction receipt, if paid online, OR Demand Draft/Pay Order to TMI. Please write your form no. and contact details on the reverse of the draft.
Application forms closed for batch commencing July 2019
NOTE: For seeking sponsorship, form details will be forwarded to the respective companies
Step 1 – Upon receipt of IMU test result & Class XII exam result, inform TMI by fastest means (email /fax) indicating your registration number. Passing of IMU test and minimum 60% in PCM group in Class XII is mandatory.
Step 2 – Eligible students will be called for interviews and medicals with the sponsoring companies.
- Nominal expenses incurred for travelling may be reimbursed to candidates as per company policy.
Step 3 – Successful candidates will be intimated by issue of Admission Letter & Joining Instructions by TMI & Sponsorship letter by the shipping company.
Step 4 – Payment of Fee as per details given in the Admission Letter.
Step 5 – Report for the course at TMI as per instructions in the Admission Letter.
Step 6 – Upon successful completion of the One year programme i.e. passing IMU exams, students to report to the sponsoring company for boarding formalities.
Cost of Training
For the batch commencing first week of August 2019, the all inclusive cost (tuition fees, boarding, lodging, uniform, etc.) of training for one year diploma course is approx. Rs. 4.85 lakh.
Fee is accepted by Demand Draft only.
- If required, sponsoring company will assist the candidates selected by them to avail education loans from banks.
- Shipping companies, based on their criteria, may offer scholarship programmes.
- TMI will provide the required documents for securing education loan.
For further details contact
Tolani Maritime Institute
Talegaon Chakan Road
Pune - 410 507
Tel: + 91 (2114) 669601 / 05, 7350200003, 7350100003